Monday, October 30, 2006

rob is deep and contemplative...frowny face, grrr

i got called emo twice recently. both of these accusations were online, but the fact that they coincide at least interests me. i don't think i look emo. why can't i just look like me? i don't want to be categorized and i think that the only category under which i might fall is "rob-ness."
i mean...rob-ness might look kinda emo, but its not.
anyway, new york city is kinda crazy. i feel as though parts of me are starting to come together to make a unified whole. different stages of my life are colliding in this weird city. somehow i know people in the city. i know people here that i knew from highschool. i know people here that i know from undergrad. and, i'm meeting people too, so there are a bunch of different versions of rob that might be called on to exude a different kind of rob-ness at any given time. its weird...trust me.
i feel like all these different versions are so different, but i'm finding it so easy to slip in and out of different modes without causing any blackouts or anything. for some reason that makes me feel comfortable and uneasy at the same time.
watched a man on the subway today who appeared to be homeless. he sat low in his seat, leaning forward, face looking straight at the ground, all the time. his arm draped over his head so that he could gently rub the top of his head with his long, thin black fingers. his hair was patchy, longish in some parts, but shorter in others, not worn completely bald, but very close to his scalp. you could see the path his fingers had worn, over and over again as he gently rubbed the top of his head. he did this the entire time i watched him. i looked at him instead of looking out the window as we went over the williamsburg bridge. he never stopped, and never looked up, just kept gently rubbing the top of his head.
where does a compulsion like that come from? how is it that I exist in contrast to this guy, on the same train at the same time? new york city is the center of the fucking universe, and you will see things here, good and bad, that will make you want to cry.
on a lighter note, tomorrow is halloween and suzanne is throwing a party. i mean, the party is going to be at our place, so we are throwing a party, but suzanne is doing everything. speaking of suzanne, ask her about the guy she saw on the subway, her story is so much better than mine.
sorry this post was such a downer, i'll be funnier in the future...i promise. also, we keep promising, and you keep believing us, but sometime in the near future, we're actually going to put up pictures of the new apartment. we have one last thing to do, then you get to see it. until then, enjoy the fact that i finally put my technological powers to work and put my picture on my blog. boooyaaah!

6 Comments:

Blogger GreenLibrarian said...

Such a passive aggressive response to being called emo only warrants one thing...

BEING CALLED EMO!

Just kidding - much love down your way and I wish I could see you guys for Halloween!

BOO!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, were you there the time Dan and I saw that family at the Sherburne Diner? The parents had matching jogging suits, the mother had hairy arms and the father resembled a pedophile? Because Amber and I totally went for Halloween this year dressed as that couple. I brought wine coolers and everything. Also, I peed on things that weren't mine. Also, I wrestled a man who was dressed as a sheik. And lost.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well great for you, I guess my invite to the party got lost in the mail!

-Dave

10:23 PM  
Blogger kiss my shades said...

not emo.
nope.

frumpy gay man: maybe.

but not emo.

:)

xo

10:22 PM  
Blogger R. Peeps said...

you better be careful keren, you might lose your posting priveleges.
this of course is the type of thing that only a frumpy gay man would say, so i can't revoke your priveleges yet.

11:59 PM  
Blogger kiss my shades said...

please!
i never lost anything before for calling you such things... why would it change now?!
hehe :P

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home