Monday, July 24, 2006

no sleep till brooklyn: nearing the end

we're at 4150 or something now. we were gonna just do a powerhouse move from winston salem all the way up to webster where my rents live, but we got really sick of driving, and one more 11 hour day really was going to kill us.
so, we're springing for one more hotel room in waynesburg, pa. last night i called to make a reservation, so i started by calling some other motel and asked if they had a pool. they said no, but suggested the comfort inn. i called the comfort inn, and for whatever reason, i didn't ask them if they had a pool, figuring that i was speaking to the correct comfort inn and that they would in fact have a pool and spa. unfortunately, i was wrong, and despite the fact that for most of the day i sat in the car worrying that i had spoken with a different comfort inn than the one that was suggested to me, we pushed on only to discover when we arrived that this comfort inn does not have a pool. there is one 20 minutes to the north and 20 minutes to the south, but the one in the middle, the one that i called and made a reservation at of course does not have a pool.
goddammit. do you know how much we were both looking forward to a pool and spa...very much...very, very much.
anyway, winston salem was very cool, thanks largely to dave super. he was a wonderful host, even sacrificing his bed for our comfort. what a guy.
as mentioned in a previous post, we spent some time floating on inner-tubes down a river. its actually quite relaxing spending a bunch of time floating, especially when a cooler full of beer is floating next to you. yeah, we had a damn good time.
unfortunately though it all had to come to an end today and we had to push on. our eastward momentum has taken a sudden turn to the left and we are now heading north. we made it as far as the southern boarder of pennsylvania before we realized how great of an idea it was to stop for the night. clearly we could've kept driving and probably made it through to webster uneventfully, but i'm really getting sick of driving. my fingers are developing a certan curve to them that matches the curve of my steering wheel. as cool as it sounds, its actually quite painful.
anyway, we're here now, and we're gonna enjoy it. we just finished ordering a pizza and a side salad and are awaiting it with eager anticipation. we're going to veg all night tonight. massages and hbo are on the itinerary. tomorrow morning we milk the continental breakfast and then we're on the road again until we hit rochester. my parents are dying to see us, and we're dying to see their spa.
we'll let you know how everything goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger GreenLibrarian said...

I am also dying to see you two...

Oh yeah, and I heard you were coming home tonight...then I read this.

I will cry myself to sleep...

[being crying]

9:27 PM  
Blogger Hoffcorp said...

Dear Rob,

You are lucky I did not free your cat from my basement. I was very much torn between doing the right thing and my evil desire to spend some more time with you and your pod buddy.

I am more home sick than ever thanks to your visit. The only problem is that I am not from anywhere. So now I yearn for a place that I can't get to no matter how long I drive.

Here is yet another page about our water journey: http://ilovenc.com/tubing.htm

I welcome anyone to come down and visit or meet me for the first time and experience the soon to be traditional Dan river tubing trip. Be weary of the law man working at the General Store.

I went to the river lost and found and there I found a pair of sunglasses and a pair of sandals, both of which were being haunted by the soul of a now defunct IBM laptop muttering Suzie.

Sincerely,

Super

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home