Sunday, December 12, 2004

roomies

i always hated having a roommate. i had to share a room with my brother for far too long and spent most of my pre-teen life petitioning my parents for my own room. then i went to school and had to share a room with a complete stranger, which was fun, but i like having my own place where i can relax the way i want to. its not that i have particularly strange "alone-time" habits, i just don't feel normal unless i get to be myself with no one else around. so sharing a cramped living space with another dude wasn't all i had hoped for. now that i have actually participated in the real world (albeit for a brief stint) the idea of sharing living space with people that i'm not comfortable with is even more repugnant than it has been previously.
i can spend all day, every day with suzanne and i'll feel completely normal. this works out perfectly because we have no money and no jobs, so we pretty much do spend all day, every day together.
throw parents in the mix, and you've got one unhappy pepe. now, not only do i not have my own house, where i can do whatever the hell i want, but i have to be nice, and respectful, and helpful, and not talk back or be sarcastically witty or any of the fun little things that make me rob-ish. at least if i was living with my parents i could be an asshole all the time and they'd get a kick out of it and be laughing even as they chastise me for being "so mean."
its been a wonderful two weeks with my west coast parents in hawaii, but they've returned and therefore i must retreat into my conch shell.
my love put it best when she said:
"ahhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ah. i think that about does it."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like my head exploded all over the place! i hate it! i hate having to be helpful while my mother insults me! which she did tonight! i hate her! yeay!

but really darling, i apologize. it is so sweet of you to endure this with me, we really have to go through so, so much. sigh. thanks for not hating me yet. and it is positive because now you understand that all of my issues are not in my head. they came from somewhere!: 1774 club heights lane! yeay!

but isnt it amazing how we can spend so much time with each other and not rip each other's throats out? i think that cumulatively we have spent more time together then any other couple, ever. wow. i mean, i am seriously addicted to alone time, but you're really the only person i've met so far that doesn't send me screaming for it regularly. i mean, besides mandatory daily "walkman time," which is just an essential.

but, i'm sorry you cant be yourself here. i mean, how do you think i feel? i can't even be myself to my own mother. what the fuck is that all about? jesus, doesn't television have the answer yet?

love, suz

p.s. unhappy pepe, ha ha ha. looks like the executive stress ball i got you for christmas isn't working.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob and Suzanne!
It's Bevin, you know... Olson's friend... yeah. Just doing the blog surfing thing. And procrastinating. You have cool cats. How are they?
Hope the living-with-the-folks thing works out for you. Ask Ols about my crazy future in-laws sometime (and why we must never leave the door unlocked!), I totally feel your pain.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home