Thursday, December 09, 2004

The road behind

I recently moved out to california under the assumption that my girlfriend's mom would be able to get us jobs quickly and easily. Two months later, that still isn't the case, and instead of working and saving money for grad school, I find myself sitting in front of their computer, blogging. Funny how that worked out.
when i first got here (no more capital letters unless i'm taken by a whim, i'm lazy and i find it gives my writing a certain edginess) one of my greatest interests was the thermometer that they have on the back porch. its not especially interesting, but i enjoyed the fact that it scarcely dipped below 55 degrees. after several weeks of watching this thermometer, i was thoroughly convinced that the thing was broken. though that may sound foolish, it was based on what i believed to be empirical evidence. thanks to my addiction to nicotine, i would often find myself outside during various points of the day, smoking, and i noticed that sometimes, specifically at night, it felt significantly colder than the thermometer would indicate. this is what first led me to believe that the thermometer was broken...if my skin felt cold, then it was obviously cold out and it was probably the thermometer that was giving an incorrect reading, not my skin.
this evidence was further corroborated by another one of my observations. it seemed that no matter when i went outside, the thermometer, now the object of my enmity, read 55 degrees or thereabouts. how could it possibly be the same temperature all the time.
finally, i suggested to my partner in crime, comrade s, that we get her father a new thermometer for the back porch for christmas. this suggestion was met with a haughty laugh and a, "why would we do that?" sort of look on her face. to which i explained that his was obviously broken because it always read the same temperature. it was then when the realization was beaten into me that i was not in upstate new york anymore. in fact i was in san diego, california, where it is not unusual for the temperature to remain the same for...well, forever.
now we're in the early phases of winter here, and it is starting to dip below 40 by 3 in the morning. i see the error of my ways in that i based my judgments on my perception of things, rather than depending on scientific instruments. any cartesian philosopher would tell me that i shouldn't base my judgments of reality on my perception, duh. though, i can't comfortably say that i feel any better basing my judgments of reality on scientific instruments either, i mean...they could be broken, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're the one that's broken, dumas. way to get cartesian! ha ha, i'll never forget how hard i laughed when you turned to me, all serious-like, and stated: "i think the thermometer is broken." HAHAHHAHAHHAHA. you neglect to mention that you persisted in this belief for several days, although i made it my new mission to illustrate to you the thermometer's complete functionality. and it's been fucking cold lately - remember the 45 degree day, observed at 2:30? oh, and dont worry about all the typos. i wont love you any less because of them.
;) love comrade s

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home